Sexual Offences (Amendment) (Guernsey) Law, 2000
To access the legislation in printable format, please click the "view printable version" button.
Please note that this Law has been repealed by Order in Council No. XVII of 2012 - Sexual Offences (Bailiwick of Guernsey) (Amendment) Law, 2011.
The Sexual Offences (Amendment) (Guernsey) Law, 2000
THE STATES, in pursuance of their Resolution of 30th June 1999[a], have approved the following provisions which, subject to the Sanction of Her Most Excellent Majesty in Council, shall have force of law in the Islands of Guernsey, Herm and Jethou.
Reduced age of consent for homosexual acts in private
1. In subsections (1) and (4) of section 1 of the Sexual Offences (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law, 1983[b] ("the Law of 1983") for "twenty-one years", wherever appearing, substitute "18 years".
Homosexual acts on merchant ships
2. (1) Section 2 of the Law of 1983 is repealed.
(2) The repeal effected by subsection (1) of this section shall not be taken to prevent a homosexual act from constituting a ground for dismissing a member of the crew of a Guernsey merchant ship from his ship.
(3) In this section -
"Guernsey merchant ship" means a ship registered in Guernsey and habitually used, or used at the time of the act concerned, for the purpose of carrying passengers or goods for reward;
"member of the crew", in relation to a ship, includes the master of the ship and any apprentice to the sea serving in the ship.
Reduction of age by reference to which maximum punishment is ascertained
3. In section 3(1) of the Law of 1983 for "that age", wherever appearing, substitute "the age of 18 years".
4. (1) Subject to subsection (2) of this section, the amendments made by this Law to the Law of 1983 shall have effect in relation to acts done before the commencement of this Law as they apply in relation to acts done after the commencement of this Law.
(2) This Law shall not have effect in relation to any act which is, or apart from this Law would be, an offence, where the defendant to an indictment for that offence has been committed for trial before the commencement of this Law.
Citation and construction
5. (1) This Law may be cited as the Sexual Offences (Amendment) (Guernsey) Law, 2000.
(2) This Law is to be construed as one with the Law of 1983.
6. This Law shall come into force on the day after its registration on the records of the Island of Guernsey.
View printable version